This puree is light as a feather, simple and delicious. You can use olive oil instead of butter and a little broth instead of milk; you could add a little nutmeg or any number of herbs or other spices. You could enrich it with cheese and/or cream.
- Sub olive oil and broth for a vegan version
- Add a little nutmeg and/or finely chopped parsley
- For an even creamier texture add one small, diced potato to the mix
- 1 small to medium head cauliflower, washed, trimmed and chopped into small pieces, including stem/core (about 6 cups chopped)
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- ¼ - ⅓ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Steam the cauliflower and garlic until very tender, about 10-12 minutes, or simmer it in 1 cup water.
- Drain the cauliflower (reserving the cooking/steaming liquid in case you want to thin your puree at the end) and garlic and put in a food processor and add the remaining ingredients.
- Process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve hot or warm.